KER's Bone Food plus supplies the essential building blocks to optimise bone development, health and strength.
Calcium, phosphorus and magnesium are the main structural components of bone. Low dietary calcium and phosphorus can lead to weakening of bones in horses, especially performance horses, stabled horses, lactating mares and growing horses. Bone Food plus also contains vitamin D, vitamin K, zinc, copper and manganese which all play an important role in bone development.
- Magnesium to assist with magnesium deficiency which may occur when horses are fed high grain, low roughage diets, whilst sweating heavily or when factors interfere with magnesium absorption.
- Vitamin D plays a key role in calcium and phosphorus absorption and is an important nutrient for stabled horses where it plays a vital role in bone health.
- The role of vitamin K in bone development has been recognised and it is an important nutrient in horses deprived of green grass.
- Zinc, copper and manganese are important trace minerals which play a role in bone development. Levels in grains and forages are often deficient, so a supplementary source is required.
Many diets do not provide optimal levels or correct ratios of the minerals calcium, phosphorus and magnesium including those fed a high grain diet or those grazing tropical forages and high oxalate pastures. These pastures contain calcium binding agents which may contribute to serious bone disorders such as Bighead disease. Bone Foodplus supplementation helps offset these risks.
To supplement equine diets with vital bone building nutrients.
To supply extra calcium and phosphorus to horses fed tropical forages.
For stabled horses at risk of bone demineralisation and fracture.
For growing horses and lactating mares with high calcium demands.
For young working horses that require additional minerals for both work and growth.
The following amounts should be fed daily and divided equally amongst feeds. Mix well into a damp feed.
- 20 – 40g (1/2 – 1 heaped scoop): Ponies requiring mineral supplementation
- 40 – 80g (1 – 2 heaped scoops): Ponies grazing on tropical pasture
- 40 – 80g (1 – 2 heaped scoops): Horses requiring mineral supplementation
- 80 – 160g (2 -4 heaped scoops): Horses grazing on tropical pasture
Note: These recommendations are for horses with a mature body weight of 500kg. Please adjust according to the weight of your horse.
|Calcium||11.5 g||290 g|
|Phosphorus||2.5 g||63 g|
|Magnesium||2.2 g||55 g|
|Zinc||50 mg||1250 mg|
|Manganese||30 mg||750 mg|
|Copper||20 mg||500 mg|
|Vitamin D||2000 IU||50,000 IU|
|Vitamin K||10 mg||250 mg|